Saturday, October 10, 2009

What I'm doing here

Before I move on with the next few posts and the really interesting things I've been hearing the past week, this is what I'm doing with this: the Corpitopia blog is part of the research I am doing for an art exhibition to be held in January at KSpace Contemporary in Corpus Christi. KSpace is helping me arrange discussion sessions with a wide swath of Corpus Christians (Is that what you go by? I've been wondering!) that will result in helping me learn about what's going on here. I also will collect data and ideas that citizens provide for me and will include them in the final multi-media exhibition, which will consist of drawings (mine and others'), a workspace with drafting table and computer, video projections, and an overall arrangement that mirrors the general configuration of the city.

I think the idea is to create a sense of play and creativity around a place and its planning process, particularly for those who do not traditionally participate or feel themselves included in the discussion, and to offer a space for their frustrations and creativity. In the end I hope we generate a new sense of inclusion and activism amongst typical citizens as well as some material for consideration by the city, and I get to have been an almost-citizen in my new familiarity with this particular place. This blog is one of the best ways to create an "archive" of your comments: it never has to be taken down, it can continue to grow after the exhibition is long gone, and it can be accessed by people who never even came to the actual exhibition.

Post away and check back often! Suggest topics and links at any time!

2 comments:

TOMSCatherine said...

My art history teacher works at KSpace. I think it's great that we have a contemporary art place like that here in town. It is a chance to get away and just look at some genuine art. I plan on going sometime this week.

rbubp said...

Excellent! Come by on Saturday morning too--10 am--to participate in my discussion session! Only an hour out of your life!