Thursday, October 29, 2009

Comments on the Caller: I couldn't help myself/mea culpa

After the fireworks surrounding the coliseum, I was shocked. It was obvious that many other Corpans were not shocked and have come to be, unsurprisingly, somewhat cynical about this sort of thing.

So I threw my hat in the ring as an outsider, and pulled no punches, and now they have my quote posted on the paper's online splash page:

"I'm not from CC. I've been here watching for a little while.

I am astounded you have put up with this sort of incompetence for so long. You have an amazing location that 98% of the rest of the world would kill for, and you don't know what to do with it. Well, Howdy Doody above is right--you need to start just about anywhere as long as it's a huge change, because small changes aren't going to cut it at this point.

Ice skating and hockey are great for the local residents, but tourists will have to come for other things...the Columbus ships, a better downtown, a boardwalk and/or a pier, a freaking golf course, a waterpark (not all of it has to go downtown).

I'm amazed at the disconnect in understanding that increased revenues equal increased tax revenues from OUTSIDERS. You help pay for it now, it yields to being able to pay for things later, like better roads and schools. What is it this city so afraid of?"

I shouldn't have done it. It's really inappropriate for me to weigh in like that. Now I've got it out there...but let me just say, too, that the Caller-Times is doing a pretty amazing job with coverage. And the comments on those articles have been very interesting; mine is not at all out of character for the sort of vitriol being thrown about.

In fact, I've got a new idea. I'm going to lift those comments from the Caller-Times and post all of them here so they stay in the record, so to speak, and don't disappear into internet miasma in a few days. New purpose for blog: comments from Corpans posting on the Caller-Times. Hopefully no more of them will come from me.

No comments: